Friends of Upland Animal Shelter
Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) Job Description
Organization Information:Friends of Upland Animal Shelter (Friends) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that is partnered with the City of Upland to perform shelter operations and adoptions. Upland Animal Shelter is an open admission animal shelter for stray animals found in Upland. Friends operates the shelter with a "no kill" philosophy (maintaining a live release rate over 90%), accepts owner surrendered animals on a case-by-case basis and acts as a "rescue" by transferring in animals from other shelters and rescues. Friends works with a network of community partners, business sponsors, adopters, donors and volunteers with our mission being to find a loving home for every adoptable animal.
Salary: Starting at $20.00 - $30.00 per hour (based on experience) plus medical, dental and vision insurance.
Reports to: Shelter Operations Manager
To perform all duties related to caring for shelter animals; assess the health and behavior of animals; clean and disinfect work station/medical room; maintain medical records in Chameleon; provide the staff with insight of medical issues; caring for all animals related to duties as assigned. Assist veterinarians with spay/neuter surgeries in shelter or mobile clinic. Assist with vaccination clinics for the public.
On an animal’s impound or transfer to Friends of Upland Animal Shelter, the RVT will:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, either orally or in writing.
· Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Maintain a variety of records including animal health records and records on the spaying/neutering, surgery, vaccinations, and other medical procedures.
· Order and maintain inventory of supplies needed at the shelter.
· Observe animals in shelter for signs of illness or injury and report to manager
· Observe sick, quarantined, and potentially injured animals. Notify supervisor of animals in need of veterinary care or euthanasia.
· Assess the health and behavior of animals and coordinate with other medical professionals to assess and treat animals, as needed.
· Assist veterinarians with spay/neuter surgeries and any other procedures in the shelter clinic.
· Provide food and water for all animals under medical care.
· Clean and disinfect animal enclosures for special cases, as needed.
· Manage inventory for shelter clinic.
· The ability to follow direction without supervision.
· Euthanasia of animals per Policy and Procedure Guidelines, at direction of Shelter Operations Manager.
· Be able to recognize symptoms of common diseases of dogs and cats.
· Collect and test lab samples.
· Administer shots, medications or treatments for shelter animals.
· Administer vaccines and other treatments for owned animals as part of vaccination clinics or other services being provided by the organization.
· Trim nails
· Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications:
· Two (2) years of experience working with domestic animals in an animal shelter, veterinary hospital or other animal care facility is preferred. Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
· Must pass background check, physical examination, and drug screening.
Successful Candidates Must Have the Following Minimum Education and Certification:
· High School Graduate or GED
· Registered Veterinary Technician Certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strong customer service orientation, excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills; ability to prioritize and organize the daily work load to ensure the most efficient and humane care for the animals at the shelter; high level recognition of animal disease and illness; knowledge and ability to execute proper animal handling and cleaning techniques to avoid the spread of disease to other animals as well as employees and volunteers; identification of various breeds of dogs, cats, and other small domestic animals; principles of animal behavior and care; excellent customer service skills; data input and record keeping; safe work practices; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices necessary in the area of animal services; safe driving principles and practices. Must maintain a California Class C driver’s license with a good driving record.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to talk or hear, in person and by telephone; sit; use and operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk, run, stand, squat and kneel. Employees must have the ability to lift, restrain, vaccinate and move animals weighing up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is exposed to diseased, injured and dangerous animals and wet or humid conditions, heat, cold, noise, odors, outdoors, and chemicals.
Are you interested in this job?
Download and complete our Employment Application, then scan and email it with a copy of your resumé and certification to:
Call 909-931-4185, Option 4 for further information
Position is Open Until Filled
Friends of Upland Animal Shelter Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, any other characteristic protected by law, or any other factor that is not related to the job.
It is an objective of Friends of Upland Animal Shelter, Inc. to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant selected for employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, Federal and Local governing agencies.